Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Exploring My Utah Service Adventure


During the last week of Winter break, I went on a trip to Utah through the Mobilization of Volunteer Efforts (MOVE) group on campus. Along with 8 other students and an RD, I flew to the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, where homeless and abused animals from all over the country come to be rehabilitated and cared for.

I was fortunate enough to have my trip paid for by the MOVE office through the "How Are You MOVE'd?" scholarship. Today was the presentation required of every recipient, where someone from each trip gave a mixed media presentation on how they felt affected by the experience. I chose to speak about the truly incredible depth I saw in animals that I had previously not understood, such as with birds who use tools or harm themselves physically after severe trauma. I spoke about the so-called "invisible dogs," those who are so psychologically harmed from spending years in puppy mills (essentially dog factories), they want nothing more than to be invisible.

It seems that anywhere you look, you can find a cause worth fighting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment